Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day #7219 - It's not the Heat, it's the Humidity

As I sit in my room typing this, I'm in an incredibly disgusting state. I always pick the worst days weather-wise to go to the grocery store. But perhaps I should back up a bit first...

The past couple of days have been extremely nice - very low key. Monday we went to see the Roman Ampitheater in Piazza Bra for Art History, then the past two days all we've had is Italian. Tuesday I ventured around the park and planned out Rome for the most part with a couple other people (good news - we're planning on spending almost all of Monday at the Vatican!) and then got to read on a park bench and enjoy the sunshine. Then yesterday me and a bunch of the girls went over to the public pool and went swimming. We all looked ridiculous in our required swimcaps (I didn't get a picture of it, but another girl did. I'll be sure to get a copy). So we enjoyed the water and sun. After that, I came back home with Kim and Megan. We went to a local place and got a pre-dinner spritzer which can best be described as a watered down glass of a fruity wine. We then went to their apartment and the three of us cooked dinner together. I'm quite proud of us - we had pumpkin-filled tortolini (Megan thought it was cheese when she bought it) that was actually amazing. We cooked that with some garlic, mushrooms, and tomatoes in olive oil for the sauce. We also made a salad and steamed asparagus - very healthy, tastey, and satisfying after a day outside. I ended up calling it a night early, though. It's just impossible to stay energetic and focused in class without a full night's rest.

This morning we had the usual four hours of Italian. Let me tell you, I forgot how much my brain does not like foreign languages. We're getting to the point where we're trying to learn irregular verbs and all this vocabulary on top of all the normal stuff and then needing to remember what words to use in what situations and is it masculine or feminine and is it plural because if it is, then you have to do something different in order for your sentence to make sense and yadda yadda yadda. I think I liked it better when the only word I knew was stunad. I need to sit down and study more of that tonight because it's getting to the point where I'm just embarassed every time I try to say anything in class.

After a quick lunch at home (I am a master of the salami and cheese sandwich), it was back to school for Art History. Today we didn't actually spend any time in the classroom, but walked all around the city looking at the architecture of various landmarks and different frescos and ruins. It's kind of cool because there's so much Italian and Veronese history all around us right in front of our eyes, but we don't know it until Andre points it out. Even though it was in the 80s today, the heat really wasn't that bad. The humidity on the other hand makes the air so thick that the eight of us in that class were lethargic to say the least. Our teacher even commented that 4 hours is a long time for a class to last and that the weather isn't being as nice as it could be. However he said it's a good thing we're leaving in June because the humidity gets even worse in July. So at least we can be grateful for that =) But when it wtarted raining on my way home from the grocery store (where I stocked up on pasta for dinners and more Nutella because I seem to inhale it), it was just gross. Which is why I'm currently wearing my comfy Illini gear - thank goodness for athletic shorts and free teeshirts from TIS!

Tonight I really have no idea what the plan is. A couple people are heading into to town for dinner, so I'll probably join them. Hope all is well, wherever you are! Love you all and I'd love to hear from you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment